Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Imagine A Coach Like Judge Judy?

When I was about to become involved with a corporation to provide coaching leadership lessons, the CEO kept claiming, "I am a coach, too". I am guessing he took his coaching lessons from a Coaching for Dummies book because he reminded me of Judge Judy! He was harsh and scared the rest of the leaders and they tried to avoid him.

When I suggested that coaching was about being positive and supporting people, he claimed, "That is personal life coaching and not what I need to do with my team". He believed he was the expert coach in this situation and so I decided to walk away from this leadership coaching project.

I only work with organizations and people who want coaching as a way of life and want coaching lessons to create more success. I use a lot of techniques and theories from positive psychology and believe that each person's self is always to be maintained and never to be broken down. I see life in a positive way and people in that same light.

At the company I am referring to above they claimed they wanted coaching to teach their leaders new skills that would drive people towards success once they learned coaching skills. What I found is the Judge Judy approach was far from coaching and I was not going to change the CEO (who claimed he was the expert coach) to become a person who had skills in coaching and understood what coaching really was.

No comments:

Post a Comment