Wednesday, June 15, 2005

"Connie"

Today, I am coaching my client, “Connie” and she starts asking me about becoming a coach. Now she is consultant for a big accounting firm and pretty burnt out on the travel, the demands, the hours and the lack of appreciation.

When we completed our session I began to think about who becomes a coach and I have noticed certain trends.

Consultants, whether in management or business, organizational, executive, marketing or professional organizers and others, are a great fit to move into coaching. They already have the background skills and experience. They love the high billing rate, few expenses, and find the work and clients more diverse and interesting. It is more comprehensive work or holistic where they can coach with their minds, body and spirit.

So, yes, Connie is a natural fit.

I also know that many coaches have a background as a speaker, trainer or educator and use their great skills sharing their expertise with clients.

Of course, all kinds of therapists (mental health, physical, occupational, speech, etc.) make perfect sense and have the background and find fewer hassles, no insurance to deal with or paperwork holding them back.

In fact, many coaches are ministers sharing their love of people and spirituality with others.

As I sat here I thought about the professional people like attorneys, chiropractors, doctors, accountants and others that become coaches. Many financial planners, as well. What a great way to add an income stream and do something else to broaden the work they do.

And managers and executives make stellar coaches using their skills in new ways and loving the ability to freely use their skills.

I personally have seen sales people and sales managers turn to being coaches and do very well at this field, too.

Anyway, I stopped to realize that my own client had no idea I had founded 2 coach training schools! I guess I need to share this more so people know more about the programs and can see if they are a fit.

Here are the links:
http://www.coachinstitute.com
http://www.comprehensivecoachingu.com

Thanks Connie for reminding me :)

Terri Levine

No comments:

Post a Comment