Friday, December 16, 2005

Guide To Proper Introductions

Every now and then I like to get on my soapbox about manners... manners are going the way of the dinosaur! In the past, parents taught their kids manners... then we learned a different kind of courtesy when we started out in our careers - manners for business situations. These days, seems people are too busy to include "manners" in their training! We're growing into a rude society of ignorant, me-me-me, so and so's who don't deserve ANYBODY's business! (Yes, thank you, that does feel better!)

Today, my "soapbox" special is about introductions...

Have you ever had to introduce people to one another and found yourself a bit tongue-tied?

Here are a few situations where people often get stuck: who gets introduced first, forgetting names, and when to introduce yourself.

Business etiquette always prevails but most people never receive formal instruction in this. So, here are the "rules" that seems most of us have never been taught.

  1. Always introduce the older person to the younger person:
    "John Smith, I would like to introduce you to Bill Evans."

  2. Use proper language: "Janice Jones, I'd like you to meet
    Sue Robins."

  3. If you are not introduced to someone, wait a few seconds
    and then say: "Hi. I'm Harry Higgins." And yes, you can offer
    your hand to shake.

  4. When you forget a name: "Why don't you introduce yourselves
    to each other since I am so bad with names?" (Said with a
    twinkle in your eye!)

Recently, someone told me about a network function they attended and a person they had met once before was there and they really wanted his business! So up he goes and just before he puts out his hand, he realizes he can't remember the other guy's name! So thinking quickly, he whips out his diary and says, "I don't think you had any business cards left last time we met and I just wrote your name in my diary... I just want to check the spelling because you know how tricky names can be!" The other guy smiled and spelled out obligingly: "T E D S M I T H".

So, on meeting, it is a good idea to ask the other person if they have a business card!

Until next week...

Terri Levine
http://www.comprehensivecoachingu.com
http://www.terrilevine.com
http://www.coachinstitute.com

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:00 PM

    I ahve been looking for a site or discussion where I might get this question answered. Mith I have come to the right place?
    Here's the scenario and question:
    The receptionist, in our office insists that it is OK to address and adult client by his first name IF she prefaces the name with "Mr."
    An example of the would be calling David Smith, "Mr David." I say that this is not only improper, but not generally accepted etiquet for a professional office.
    It is my understanding, that "Mr Firstname" is too informal in a professional application.
    What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question, anonymous:)

    I always do what best serves the patient/client and address them how they prefer to be addressed. I go by what we co-create that feeeeels right and toss aside rules!

    ReplyDelete