Monday, March 06, 2006

Stop the Certification Madness

I am constantly amazed at how coaches get trapped into thinking they need to have some initials after their names to draw clients to them or for the coach to believe they are a great coach. I know coaches who get great coach training and are not only the top coaches in the industry, they are the real money making coaches, and none of them give a hoot about what it says after their name. I am really tired of the coaching industry taking the focus away from learning coaching skills and learning the skills to be a highly paid coach and making it about getting some silly initials after your name!

One of my clients said she just puts, MSU after her name, for Make Stuff Up! That really is the essence of saying, it doesn't matter! I have been coaching for nearly a decade and work with Fortune 100 companies, clients around the world and over 2,000 coaching clients and not ONE ever asked about initials. They ask where I got my training and they want to know what I am an expert at and how I can help them - THEY have the right focus and ask the right questions.

Michael Port and I were speaking recently and he agrees with my view and he said in the 3 years he has been coaching and the 500k of income he has generated as a coach he has never been asked about his certification and he has none and is one of the greatest coaches on the planet and makes a great income, too!

Coaches, stop procrastinating with your careers and get real. Consultants don't need inititals, we need great training and knowledge of how to sell what we do.

Terri Levine
http://www.comprehensivecoachingu.com
http://www.terrilevine.com
http://www.coachinstitute.com

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%. I feel in our society people want to impress other people. My number one outcome should be your skill set.

    Can you change people? Can you help them increase their bottom line?

    It's an honor to be a peak performance expert, and all you neen is your true talent to change people lives.
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post, dr.oda! I agree that people hire you for the results you bring and it is about outcomes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coach papa...

    Isn't it all about having people appreciate and get value from what you provide? That is what jazzes me to do what I do, too!

    ReplyDelete