Tuesday, May 17, 2005

New Realtor Rita

This client, we’ll use the name Rita, is a new real estate agent who hired me to assist her in getting over her fear of rejection. As a sales coach and a former sales person and sales manager, I sure know what rejection feels like and I certainly know what the fear feels like, too.

She said during the past month she knew she had to make phone calls but every time she was scheduled to be making calls she found other things to do to avoid having to make those calls. Her lack of income showed she wasn’t making the calls and she was angry with herself for not making them. I call this “call reluctance” and see it often in sales professionals.

I did a visioning exercise with her asking her to create for me exactly what her dream would be on a phone call where everything went perfectly. I had her fully describe what she would say, what the person would say, what she’d be wearing, doing, feeling, touching and even smelling during the call. After that process I asked her to always, before a call imagine it, and script it in her mind, exactly as she intended for it to happen.

Next I asked her if at the scheduled times she is to make calls, she was writing in the names and numbers to be called. She said no. I asked her to put this in her palm pilot from now on. Every call was now considered an appointment.

Then I asked her what could happen that would be the worst thing on the call. She said they might hang up and then she laughed. I said to her that often we fear because we haven’t thought about the worst thing that might happen.

I shared with her that if she never spoke to people her vision of being a realtor might not come true. We talked about how much she wanted that in her life and why and what would happen if she didn’t make it in real estate. The fear of having to go back to a J-O-B with no flexibility was very painful. I asked her what did she fear most, someone being rude or hanging up or a J-O-B…. she said she got the point loud and clearJ

I also asked her if she found people interesting and she for sure did. I said if she made those calls to just connect with people, not be attached to the outcome, and to simply enjoy each person and find their beauty, would that feel better? She clearly thought so.

Finally, she told me that she gets “tongue tied” and confused about what to say. I asked her to create some scripts and write them down, that weren’t canned, or phony but from her heart and what she wanted to say. By having these she would feel more confident and get better results.

Many of these coaching concepts come from my world famous Selling-Without-Selling sales process which is offered as a complete package for anyone who sells anything at: www.selling-without-selling.com

Terri Levine
CEO
www.coachinstitute.com
www.terrilevine.com

1 comment:

  1. Terri, this is great guidance. I can't tell you how many people I run accross that are terrified of the phone. In sales, it truly is the kiss of death. However, just by internalizing exactly what the maximum benefits and risks are, many people can overcome the hesitation. The next step is to actually make the activity a habit so that old fears don't creep back in.

    -Barrett N.
    4MySales.com A Simple Real Estate System

    ReplyDelete