Saturday, May 07, 2005

New Job Jessica

I just love giving my clients these funny names :) “Jessica” just changed jobs. She was a top marketing executive in a healthcare organization and she became unhappy after 4 years and decided to go elsewhere. This week she began at another organization, still within the healthcare field, and wanted my help in settling in.

We began with me asking her to let go of the past (this comes right from my bestselling book “Work Yourself Happy”). This means letting go of who you were within one organization and allowing yourself to let that go so you can open up to a new experience with a new company.

We also discussed finding what was working and what was good and cool about the new job, the new people, the new office, the new environment and even the new ways of doing things. She actually started out slow, with only a few positive aspects and within minutes she was talking so fast I had to slow her down!

I also taught her a coaching skill (just as I would teach to a new coach), called tuning in. This is a very, very deep form of listening well beneath the words, as others talk. I want her to be deeply interested in those around her and less concerned with being interesting and talking about her old job and her old ways of doing things.

If you want to coach folks, like I do, I invite you to join a great free call. You can register at:
http://www.coachinstitute.com/coachinginstituteorientation.htm

Terri Levine

No comments:

Post a Comment