Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Recreating Yourself ... Life After CRPS/RSD

As you may or may not be aware, after a long period of immobilizations and castings due to a ruptured Achilles, I developed CRPS/RSD, known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome/Reflexive Sympathetic Dystrophy.

There are many stages to CRPS/RSD, which have to do with changes in the extremity. In stage one, which is the stage right after injury, there is increased blood flow and swelling to the area of injury. In my case the extremity was always cold and swollen. It turned black and I could not feel it.

Stage two, is the dystrophic stage or ischemic stage. This stage is characterized by neurovascular changes that affect the blood flow into the extremity. Again, in my case, this meant the extremity was very cold, black and I had no feeling and could not tell hot vs. cold or feel sharp needles.

And stage three is atrophic where the neurovascular changes become more pronounced. There is a decrease of blood flow into the area, along with other nervous system changes.

My life and my physical limits have changed with this disease and so I had to change my hobbies and activities. I had to learn to do things I can do vs. things I want to do.

I have pain each day with CRPS/RSD and have physical limitations with this disease. I have had to learn to recreate myself in many ways so that my life is still full, juicy and meangingful.

I live life at a much slower pace now. Instead of going for long walks, working at on equipment, working with my trainer, hiking and jogging, and exploring countries around the world, I now do more writing, am at home more and have created more books and articles.

The busier I am the less I focus on the pain. There have been many times when the pain was just to unbearable to do anything and concentrating became almost impossible, yet I always fight my way through it and find that when I am writing, speaking, training or coaching clients, I escape the pain and have much joy.


My Goal Is YOUR Success!

Terri Levine, The Guru of Coaching SM
PresidentComprehensive Coaching U, Inc.
(877-401-6165)
http://www.CoachInstitute.com

Create a great home based business coaching clients over the phone!
Visit http://www.CoachInstitute.com today!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Terri , I never knew it was this bad , I wish you would have made this more clear to those of us who work and know you.
    Sometimes commincation is something we all take for granted.
    Can't wait to meet you and now things are more clear for me.
    Ill have to teach you the sit and fit program ( ha ha )
    Seriously you are courageous and smart and with your knowledge of fitness you will adapt.
    Sincerley
    Allan Fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have the right idea. The more you think and talk negatively about CRPS pain & symptoms and disability the more the brain changes to reflect your thoughts. I have whole body CRPS and have had success with mirror visual feedback. It was developed with the knowledge of the new science of pain. There is much research on this (google "mirror therapy crps"), I have photos and links to research on my blog if you are interested.
    jeisea
    http://crps-rsd-a-better-life.blogspot.com/
    crps/rsd a better life

    ReplyDelete