Friday, September 16, 2005

GIVE UP PROMISES

Many of us find ourselves making promises in our business efforts, sales efforts and even in our personal relationships, that we just can't live up to.

When we make a promise, we make a commitment, we give our word and people expect a result. I have often told sales people, business managers or owners, and even couples, to "under promise and over deliver". I have had the belief that if you promised less than you knew you could deliver and then went beyond expectations, people would be pleased.

Now here's what I suggest for you: give up promises!

This may sound very idealistic to you on first glimpse. However, I have found that when I avoid making promises to others I don't have so much stress in my life in living up to expectations. I still work hard at giving my very best and going above and beyond my best - I just don't state the promises out loud. This has given me a new freedom and allowed me the opportunity to give without worry.

It may sound scary to you, (it did to me at first, too!), but I encourage you to try it. See how you feel when you make no promises at all!

Of course, I'm NOT promising you'll feel better... (smile).

Terri Levine
http://www.coachinstitute.com
http://www.terrilevine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment