Friday, August 26, 2005

ARE YOU FULFILLED OR FED UP?

Are you fulfilled in your life? How about in your work? Many clients we work with tell us they have a wonderful lifestyle but as we start to dig deeper, we see that they are missing a great life. What is the difference?

Simple. A lifestyle is the external things which you gather, but a life is something fulfilling and sustaining. Let's look at some of the ways to be more fulfilled:

  1. Stop focusing on earning more and buying more. Stop funding a lifestyle and start creating a better life for you and those around you.
  2. Stop looking for more gratification and start being very grateful for all you do have now. (Note: a funny thing happens when you do this... you start to attract more wonderful things into your life about which you can be grateful!)
  3. Stop measuring your success in terms of money and start measuring emotional costs. If you work day and night to keep up with your lifestyle, you are giving up your life. Start enjoying your life and making it simple.
  4. Ask yourself if you are working for a living or doing the work you love for life? (I do what I love and love what I do... shouldn't you?)
  5. Focus on your energy, feeling joy, love and having the time to enjoy the special people in your life - this is how to be fulfilled.
  6. If your work drains you or doesn't fulfill your intellectual, social and emotional needs, make a change.

Imagine yourself 30, 40, 50, or even 60 years from now - old, retired, looking back at your life. What will you say about your life? Will you be satisfied with how you lived it? Or will you have regrets? Will there be any "If only's..."?

Will you be saying, "I was very successful... I made a lot of money and lived in a big mansion and drove a Mercedes and put my kids through the best schools... well, yes, I did work long hours too... so okay, I worked a lot... okay, maybe all the time, but hey, look what I got for it!" (But what about fun? You were too busy, and now it's too late. Sounds like you came here just to be a slave and the only 'riches' you had in your life were monetary.)

OR will you say, "I was very successful... I had a job that I loved and a happy family. We spent the weekends together doing things as a family. I met my friends every week... I pursued my favorite hobbies... we'd go to the beach just to watch the sun set, ... we liked to go camping often... I visited all the museums with each of my kids to show them the beauty of our world... okay, I didn't live in a posh house, and my car was a bit of a wreck but it worked and got me and my family around. I had a lot of fun! I tried lots of things and saw lots of things and had a zillion memorable moments!"

It's nice to have money, but not at the expense of every other important area in our lives. Don't wait until it's too late... get a life now... there is no excuse for not "living" while you are alive!

Terri Levine
http://www.coachinstitute.com
http://www.terrilevine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment