Tuesday, October 18, 2005

DON'T BE RUDE WHEN YOU'RE ASKING FOR FAVORS!

I've been too nice lately... think it's time I got on my soap box and stirred things up a little. Are you listening to me?

I don't know about you, but seems to me people are becoming ruder and forgetting their manners in business. I think the internet may have a lot to do with it. In the "old days", before email, we wouldn't dream of "speaking" the way some people do today in their email correspondence.

Gone are the Dear... salutations, and some people don't even remember to say thank you! Whatever happened to "please"? Sentences have become clipped, tones sound almost hostile... when we write old-fashioned letters we don't write that way. What makes people think it is okay to do it in an email, I wonder...?

If you are after favors from somebody, remember your manners. If you want to get anywhere in life you do have to be courteous.

Recently, I have been approached asking if I'd offer a free bonus for somebody's upcoming book promotion. That's fine. I don't mind doing that. What I do mind is the asker telling me that it must be an expensive bonus valued at $X or more! Hang on... they're asking me to give them a freebie - and they're telling me how valuable it must be?

And if you think that's "interesting", you'll enjoy this... another promotion for yet another author, yes I gave a bonus and yes I even annoyed my newsletter list by sending it to them mid-week... obviously nobody was interested because nobody bought... the author emailed demanding to know when we'd sent it, what it looked like, how many were on our list and why didn't anybody buy it! This person was cross with us! Hello?

I don't know what to say! Just remember this - if you want something from me or anybody else - please, remember your manners!

Terri Levine
http://www.coachinstitute.com
http://www.terrilevine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment